Ditching the plastic in your life isn't just about going green, it's about doing your body a favor too. I touched on it some in my post about reusable water bottles, but the topic deserves some elaboration.
Let me summarize, plastic is some nasty shiz, avoid it when possible.
Want more details? Plastic is chemical-laden, carcinogenic, and endocrine disrupting. Nevermind, terrible for the environment, makes your food taste funny, melts, and stinks. So avoid it like the plague whenever possible.
A couple of years ago we decided to ditch all our plastic containers and replace them with Pyrex glass containers. We also rarely drink out of plastic cups and try to buy products in containers other than plastic whenever possible.
Not ready for those drastic measures yet? Understandable, there are some easy things you can do to cut down on the nasty effects of plastic.
1) Do NOT microwave it, put your food on a plate or in a glass container to microwave. Yes, there are some plastics that claim to be microwave safe, but do you really want to remember which ones those are? Just take the food out of the plastic.
2) When you need to buy a new container, buy glass instead of plastic. You can gradually replace that way.
3) Avoid any extreme temperatures for plastic, don't heat it or freeze it, that's when the max chemical leakage occurs.
4) Avoid plastic wrap touching your food
5) Avoid using plastic baggies for your food, there are some great reusuable alternatives out there!
There are lots of articles out there going into more details on why plastic is dangerous, here are a few:
Microwaving food in plastic: Dangerous or not?
Adverse health effects of Plastic
Plastic is virtually unavoidable with kids, especially little kids, but do what you can. Buy wood toys and silicone teethers. Give them stainless cups for their drinks. And set an example for them in the future by using glass containers and avoiding buying plastic when possible. It's all about the shade of green you want to be :).