It's a fresh, brand-new year again already! I can't believe how fast 2012 went by, a lot changed in our lives, and all for the better. I'm looking forward to making 2013 our best year yet as a family :).
Of course I have the obligatory resolutions, I prefer to think of them as "goals" for the year, mostly because resolutions sound so cliche!
1) Cut the crap. Meaning cut the crap out of our lives. Make a more concerted effort to NOT buy more STUFF. We don't need it, our family is very fortunate in that we want for nothing. We need to take several steps back and appreciate our good fortune and stop wanting and accumulating so much stuff. And it's a good lesson for the boys too, only get what you really need or want and then you value what you have more.
2) Along the lines of cutting the crap, make more of an effort to re-use and re-purpose. If I need some storage I can use one of the thousand cardboard amazon boxes we have and gussy that up a bit with some modge podge or something. Or be more creative with artwork and frames. Just generally be more conscious of whether I can make something we already have work, rather than getting something new.
3) Focus on healthy eating. I'd like to eat more vegetarian meals, less meat, and generally more healthy food. We've been doing ok on this, sometimes convenience gets the better of us lately, especially with the baby. But Gavin is eating "real" food now, so even more reason to make sure what we eat is healthy for everyone.
4) Exercise regularly some how, some way. I was doing SO good with this, I would run in the morning and then shower during Gavin's morning nap and feel great. Then Gavin stopped napping in the morning and got very erratic with his afternoon naps, so I stopped running. I would LOVE to get back to this, I just need to be ok in my head with being a little sweaty all day after I run. I'd like to FINALLY run a 5k this year.
5) Get our memories out of the damn digital world. We have LOADS of pictures on memory cards, in digital storage, lots of places we can't see them regularly. I want to do a family photo year book every year, it'd be a lot easier if I could gather pictures as we take them instead of one big undertaking at the end of the year.
6) Focus on the people. This follows the same vein as the first two things. Life is about experiences you have with other people, not stuff. So let's focus more on people. Date nights with the hubs, even if it's a date night in of pizza, beer, and a dvd. Mommy-son dates with each of my boys to give them 1:1 time, even just to the park or zoo. And this is important too, cut the people that don't make me happy out of my life. I've made a good effort towards this last year, but I want a reminder for this year. Those friends that only call you when they want something, see-ya later! Those people that constantly bitch and are full of drama, don't let the door hitcha! I want positive people that make me smile around me, life's too short to waste it on anyone else.
7) And lastly, the cliche mom goal, focus more on me. Go out by myself 1x/month and get some coffee, use my (3 year old) gift certificates for a pedi. Browse a book store. Hell just go to Target by myself! And be ok with doing things for me, like reading, knitting, sewing, BLOG, all those things I never have time for even if it's just for an hour on a weekend.
They're goals, not entirely quantifiable, but still, good reminders of the way I'd like to live my life for the next year. What are your goals and how do you plan on achieving them?